X marks the spot



One of the biggest and most successful Berlin Wall escapes happened right under Bernauer Strasse in October 1964. This plaque marks where the tunnel began on the West side of the wall, just imagine how the escapees must have felt climbing out into freedom. If you're interested, click here for a short video on the escape. Don't forget to stop by Signs, Signs for more signs.

PS: I am posting photos from my recent trip to Paris on my other photoblog, Halcyon TravelsPlease stop by and take a look. You can click here or on the link on the right side of this page. Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. times have changed. thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that some were able to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link to the video, Hal! You are in a city with such history now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating history, and thanks for the link. I hadn't known about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember people escaping for a while. What a frightening and perilous flight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We only heard about the dramatic escapes but not about the many attempts of fleeing the GDR which ended in long prison sentences. Glad that at least in Germany times changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fascinating piece of history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a feeling indeed! great memorial marking the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this event! I was young but, it had an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing slice of history right there Hal, amazing feat to dig the tunnel.. good link there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, just brought tears to my eyes! God bless him and the others for getting those people out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful marker for a hero for our time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the Wall and the many escapes. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  14. So brave! He must have felt terribly desperate.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...